Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Nirnroot to the Rescue

Dear Kousei,

I hope you're well when this letter reaches you. First of all, I'd like to thank you for the meal. I certainly enjoyed myself more than I thought I would. I did not really know what to expect when I entered the Sleeping Giant Inn at the time we agreed to meet. 

At least you were prompt, I thought.

I took care not to look like I was ready to bash you with my bow or my fists, as I promised in my previous letter. However, thanks to the rather prickly start of our correspondence, my imagination had other ideas. 

Oh, I'd like to take you on a stroll to a cliff near Whiterun, with a nice view of Dragonsreach...

I guess I was still recovering from the shock and annoyance of seeing Ulfric Stormcloak sharing your illumination, but on hindsight, it was pretty harsh of me to think such thoughts. I mean, it wasn't your fault you didn't know I am not into the Jarl of Windhelm.

...so you'd be blessed with a good view before I push you to your doom.

I was taken aback when you apologized at once upon seeing me approach the table. You didn't mean to offend me, you said. And I actually believe you. Somehow, I can tell you were sincere. From that alone, it was hard for me to stay angry at you. I'm glad we managed to nip that minor misunderstanding in the bud, because our succeeding conversation was a refreshing change from having to cut off bandits' curses as I punch them into Oblivion.

We talked about Helgen, of course. Apparently, we ended up following opposing figures as we struggled to keep ourselves alive. But that did not matter at that time, I think. One will do anything just to get away from that black Dragon's breath, even though I personally think he's quite a wonder to behold. Hopefully you won't tell that to anyone; I understand that for most people in Skyrim, Dragons are anything but wonderful.

But the greatest surprise of the night was after you inquired why I was discarding an Ancient Nord Sword on the roadside. I saw no harm in admitting that I was exceeding my carry limit quite often these days, and I've been making money out of anything that could be sold, just so I can buy myself a house. Other people would probably offer their sympathies, but nothing more. But you, you actually went beyond that.

OH, A NIRNROOT!

I could hardly believe my eyes when you reached into your pocket, pulled out a Nirnroot, and laid it down on the table before me. "It's yours," you said. "Maybe it will help." Yes, I know how rare these herbs are, how difficult they are to find. You probably have a knack for Alchemy, or at least an aptitude for finding the best ingredients in the right places, to have such a valuable thing in your inventory. Thank you so much for the gift, Kousei. I promise I will repay you one day. Feel free to visit me in the house I intend to buy, once I have enough gold to acquire it.

Before we parted, you asked if I could write to you every once in a while. I was undecided at that time, but I am now taking the incentive to follow through with what we've started. Maybe we can even meet in person every now and then, if our travels allow it. A potential friendship with you seems too good to lose, and I hope you think the same way too.

Hoping to hear from you soon,
Kiya

No comments:

Post a Comment