Sunday, May 4, 2014

Silence Has Been Broken

My Dearest Kousei,

It's a relief that I could finally get back to writing to you without a heavy heart weighing down the quill. Despite your assurances in your earlier letter, I was admittedly dreading the thought of facing you again. What if you seek to kill me the way you slaughtered your fellow Redguards in cold blood? We met in the same place where you discovered the truth of my Nightingale identity, but I did not reveal myself right away. The shadows had been my home for the past few days, and I stayed there a little longer, watching as you approached. You stood there for a few moments in silence before you turned to where I was sitting. Now, I do not know what kind of training the Companions have been giving you, but I certainly laud them for giving you such uncanny tracking skills.

You called out my name, but even then I refused to budge from my hiding place. Slowly, you took off your helmet and laid aside your weapons. You knelt close to where I was and offered your hands out to me.

"Please, Kiya, you were never afraid of me before," you said.

Something in your tone made my heart clench, and with trembling fingers, I laid my hands in yours. You pulled me into your arms at once. I told myself beforehand that I would not cry, but I guess my plans ended up being thrown out the window. Oh Kousei, I really thought I had lost you.

You're back in paparazzi mode -- good!

We spent a few moments comforting each other, giving tender reassurances that all that has been done was forgiven. Just then, a little note fell from my armor. It was a bounty letter handed out personally by Anuriel, Jarl Laila's steward. I had obtained it from her the day before when I was looking for work, and you were quick to suggest that we take care of the bandit leader together. I enthusiastically agreed. Nothing like repairing a relationship by clearing a bandit hideout together.

Were you afraid the bounty carried my name due to my associations?

The bandits had set up camp in the Dwemer ruins of Bthalft. It was nearing nightfall when we got there, but it was all the better. I am one with the night, and as I have seen lately, so are you. The darkness is on our side.

A lone Dwemer tower in the middle of nowhere.

Just our luck, the bandit leader was standing right at a place where I have a clear shot with my bow. I was able to bring her down with a well-aimed arrow to the head, and you swiftly dispatched of the other bandits who launched a futile counterattack. I got a little disconcerted by the unusually savage form of attack you utilized. I am no stranger to your feats of strength with blade and shield, but to see you pummeling opponents to the ground after jumping on them was something new. Come to think of it, you tried to pin me down that way during our chase around the Rift, didn't you? However, fear not -- I don't consider it to be a matter of grave concern. I really missed fighting by your side, my love, and that's what matters.

Bad idea to stand in the open when you got a marker on your head.

Instead of hurrying back to Mistveil Keep, we chose to spend the night in the safety of the ruins. Gods, how I missed the feel of your skin on mine, without any armor standing in the way. I do not know who (or what) introduced you to your current beastly battle stance, but the way you've applied it to... other aspects has certainly put a smile to my face. Just one thing though, my darling. Were your eyes always so amber in color? I kept convincing myself that it was only the way the lamplight shone on your eyes, but the more I pictured it in my mind, the more it did not seem to be a trick of light.

I wonder where the bandits got this.

If you had your way, I guess we would have continued until daylight, but you kindly stopped to allow me some much-needed sleep. When I awoke, you showed me a pair of blades you found in one of the chests nearby. They were dragon bone, that much we can see. But their design differed considerably from the conventional shape of Skyrim's blades, and I took a liking to them immediately. You offered me one, and I readily agreed. We sparred together for a few minutes using our new blades, but you must have noticed that something was on my mind. You stayed my hand and motioned that we should sit on one of the crates so we can talk comfortably.

I turned the blade idly in my hand as I muttered how it suddenly got me thinking about the Dragons, and their speech. You looked incredulous when I explained that the ability to Shout is not so easily learned, and that the two of us are anomalies where that's concerned. That was the first time I ever told anyone of my reservations about using the Thu'um, Kousei. We both know too well how it had changed the fate of Skyrim in the hands of Ulfric Stormcloak. You must have sensed my fear, because you placed your arm around me and explained that it was not so much a matter of weaponry, but rather, the hand wielding them. I had to smile at your warrior's wisdom. I do hope I will indeed be able to use the Thu'um wisely as you believed me capable of. At that moment, you took out the Nightingale hood that you've been keeping all this time, and gently placed it on me.

"I'd greatly love to see the pretty face beneath every once in a while, though," you said. I laughed a little. Of course, I can give you that.

So, shall we make a pilgrimage to High Hrothgar soon? I've heard the reclusive Greybeards may hold the answers regarding our inborn abilities to harness the dovah speech. Perhaps, they can shed more light into its nature so I would not have to fear it. Once again, thank you for taking me back, Kousei. I love you, and I always will.

All the best,
Kiya

No comments:

Post a Comment