Saturday, April 19, 2014

Walking in the Shadows

Kousei:

So you know. I figured I would have to tell you sooner or later, but it is most regretful I have to narrate my story while you have hate in your heart for me. Yes, I am one of the elusive circle who answer directly to Nocturnal herself. And yes, we are a subfaction of a larger and more visible group called the Thieves Guild. I'm sure you already know what we've been up to for the last couple of months. You did mention that you were familiar with the misfortunes of Goldenglow Estate and Honningbrew Meadery. But did it ever cross your mind that they were perpetrated by the same person on the orders of Maven Black-Briar? Gods, how I hate that woman. But we had little choice; Mercer Frey's treachery had left our fortunes in shambles, and Maven was the only one keeping things afloat until I came around. (Oh, and Maul's loyalties are more for Maven than the guild, although he's an associate.)

There is far more politics to Goldenglow Estate and Honningbrew Meadery than meets the eye, but I presume that is not important to you. You've read the book I've left on the dining table of Breezehome, and what you most likely want to know is why I would stoop so low to sell my soul to the Patron of Thieves. This brings us back to Mercer Frey, the traitor to our guild. I did tell you that I have already sent him to his grave, but I would not have been able to do it without the power of Nocturnal. Scoff at me if you want, but a traitorous Nightingale wasn't one to be so easily subdued.

The only Daedric artifact you couldn't keep.

Oh yes, Mercer Frey was a Nightingale. And so was Gallus Desidenius, who died trying to bring his treachery to light. You see, Mercer didn't just make off with something as petty as gold or jewels from the treasury -- he had taken the Skeleton Key of Nocturnal from her temple. It was thanks to this Daedric artifact that he had managed to unlock the seemingly impenetrable puzzles of Snow Veil Sanctum and countless others. You might ask what was all this fuss about an unbreakable lockpick, but the Skeleton Key is more than just a lockpick. It could unlock the hidden potential in everyone, and even more importantly, it could unlock the doors to Nocturnal's realm so her influence -- luck -- can spread throughout Nirn.

Do you know who got me dabbling into melee combat?

We had to chase after Mercer Frey. When he took the Skeleton Key from the temple, he had effectively cut off our luck. And furthermore, who knows what he'll do with the power of the Key in hand? Tracking him down in Irkngthand has shown that he has already tapped into at least a fraction of its true power -- his power. His ability to sneak attack Falmer and bandits was suspiciously good.

It's quite a relief the Dwemer employed different methods to take out the Falmer's sight.

What was he doing in Irkingthand, you may ask? He was after two things only -- a pair of wondrous gems known as The Eyes of the Falmer. We were sure to never see him again if he ever managed to make off with such priceless treasures. I was left to fight him one-on-one thanks to him influencing my companions to fight each other, and he went further to effortlessly collapse part of the chamber to separate me from them. Shouts can do that, I know. But he didn't even need to Shout to be able to do it.

A glimpse into my future, I guess.

It was a long battle I fought with Mercery Frey, but I prevailed in the end. But barely did I have the time to retrieve the Skeleton Key from his corpse when the chamber began to flood with water. Thankfully, a small landslide opened up a path at the back of the statue, and we were able to swim back to safety. But the worst was far from over for me. Owing to the disgrace of the previous set of Nightingales, I had to personally return the Skeleton Key to Nocturnal's temple, the Twilight Sepulcher, to end Mercer's meddling once and for all.

No way out but through this Key.

As a Nightingale I shouldn't have had to undergo the Sepulcher's tests, but things were quite bleak in the Sepulcher. The specters of the previous Nightingales except Gallus Desidenius had been driven mad by being cut off from Nocturnal for so long, and they couldn't recognize me as one of their ranks. I had to force my way through several of them while I deciphered the riddles of the place. And in the final pit, which functioned as a trap for any fool who would try to access the most guarded part of the Sepulcher, I felt the Key react.


You have my word, Lady Nocturnal.

After I returned the Key, Nocturnal herself appeared from her plane in Oblivion. She offered no accolades, and instead reiterated the terms of my contract before bidding me to see to the Key's safety. But I wasn't too disappointed. The fact that she didn't take my life then and there was proof of her favor. Assured that the new Nightingales have proven their worth, Nocturnal relieved Gallus of his duty over the Sepulcher. The duty of guarding Nocturnal's shrines is now in the hands of the current Nightingales, including me.

I'll let you guess who are the other current Nightingales.

And so that's how my story ends. But you may still ask -- why did I join the Thieves Guild in the first place? I wish I can say it was due to something as simple as want for money, but that's not the whole picture. You had a warm welcome in Riften when you first entered the city. Unfortunately, Riften does not offer that kind of welcome to everyone who enters her gates, especially if that person is an Imperial. If you got greeted with smiles, I was greeted with scorn. I couldn't sit in the Bee and Bard long before some fanatical Stormcloak sympathizer begins blaming me for the Empire's faults. I am not even part of the Imperial Legion, and yet they treat me as though I have killed their sons and daughters in cold blood. Riften's deceptively civil facade rejected me even before we began our correspondence. It was only in Riften's unsavory bowels that I was accepted, because they are unconcerned with race or war factions. It makes you question whether petty things really ought to be called "petty," or if a noble cause really ought to be called "noble." It makes you question what it really means to be called honorable.

I cannot apologize for choosing the unsavory side of Riften, but I do regret that it caused you so much pain. Know one thing, Kousei: my love for you is every bit as true as I am truly a Nightingale. Despite the secrets I have kept from you, I have held back nothing in terms of my love. If you can no longer see me as anything more than a thief, it will break my heart, but I will not hold it against you. I have told my story, and you can make of it what you will. I have but one request -- please do not leave me guessing if you still hold a bit of the affection that bound us together, even if only in a tiny fraction of your heart.

Kiya

No comments:

Post a Comment