Friday, April 18, 2014

The Dark Side


Kiya,

I know it was you.

I had been sent by the Companions to Riften since we last saw each other at Whiterun. That had been the reason why I was in a hurry to leave, as they said this was a business I had to attend to urgently. At the time, I knew you had other matters to attend to, but I did not guess it would be the same as mine in a different light! 

One of our guild's clients had asked us to "make" Maul submit and pay a large amount of debt. All I had to do was to travel to Riften and force him to do what he has to do. It all sounded too easy. I traveled a few days to get to Riften, and having arrived there at night, I wanted to deal with the job as soon as possible so I can just rest in one of the inns right after. Fortunately, a lot of people in the small city knew who Maul was; they pointed towards the docks. I found him there, and started "talking" to him.

Imma "maul" you, Maul.

I had made Maul kneel on one knee saying he'll pay. I thought no one was coming to help him with this, as it was his personal problem, not his guild's nor Black-Briar's. Then again, I was wrong--I heard very quiet footsteps. I had been uhhh, trained by the Companions to hear the most quiet of footsteps. I know you are light on your feet Kiya-- but this time, I heard you.

I turned around and saw this dark figure trying to sneak up on me. I left Maul to figure out how he was going to pay the large amount he owed and charged at this dark figure. I thought, probably one of his men or his guild members. I had to catch this snoop and stop him from talking, as I'm sure this shadow heard me speaking of the Companions.

I wonder why you snuck up on me with a lantern on your back.

The spy turned and started running away. I could tell it was a woman from the shape of her body and armor. They are lighter on their feet, I am guessing. She had a lamp that was on, but we were still inside the city. If she went inside the Ratway she would need it, but I will never lose her there, as it is easier to smell her in closed corridors. She had a very familiar smell on her, one I am fond of. At that point, I knew it was you. You ran towards the gates, and as the gates opened, you put your lamp out.

Run shadow, run!

Now I knew you were going to have a hard time running in the jungle in the pitch-black night, so I thought I would be able to catch you as easily as I made Maul submit. I did not think you could see me either--my new armor was as dark as the night as yours. I was wrong--you kept running and running and never once hit any obstacle in your way. It seems as though you knew every leaf in this hold, or you could see in the dark as well as any wolf can. I was surprised you did not even use any kind of magic to let you see the way.

Unfortunately, my eyes fail me in the dark. I might consider myself a hunter, a wolf even, but I had to rely on my other senses to be able to catch you. We ran and ran, avoiding every tree, every stone, every cliff for hours on end. I was not about to get tired any time soon--I could have done this all day, but I knew you couldn't, without your reliance on magic. In fact, with the length of the chase we had, I would have thought you cast some restoration spells on yourself quietly.

It's amazing how I can get this shot perfectly.

The sun had started to rise when you suddenly stopped, ready to fight this through. You had not yet realized who your pursuer was. With one swift, smooth motion, you turned around, drew your bow, nocked an arrow, and shot it while I was fast approaching. I managed to avoid the arrow, just barely, and I kept on charging. I did not draw my sword even as you launched another arrow. It hit my shield just in time. You were about to reach for another arrow from your quiver when I jumped on you to try and pin you down. At the same time, you jumped backwards to avoid my metallic claws from reaching you. I instead was only able to reach for your mask, tearing it apart from your head.

It's... shiny.

I landed on the ground, clutching your mask. I looked closely at the mask for a very short while--it had the same symbols as the sword and bow you had in Breezehome. Could it be true? I was afraid you had kept this secret from me all this time, working in the shadows in doubtful ways behind my back.

Don't you run away from this!

By the time I looked up from my fall, you were already running away. It had been too great of a shock to me to start pursuing you again. I knew it was you, and there was only one way to settle this, and I expect your reply to this letter to be an explanation for everything. Everything, Kiya. I do not want to face you until I have answers! I have no love for thieves, and the fact that the one I love is a thief herself breaks my heart in every way possible.

Kousei

No comments:

Post a Comment