Sunday, September 27, 2015

The Search For Answers


We had arrived at Riverwood without a hitch. It all seemed too quiet. I felt the wind blow to the east continuously, as if it was running away from something. Even the wind knew where to go. We pushed on towards Riverwood anyway, even if the signs are telling us otherwise. This was the first time in a very long while I've read signs as obvious as this.

Esbern and Delphine greeted each other like old friends do, once we arrived at the Sleeping Giant Inn. Delphine immediately suggested we all go downstairs to talk. I guess it's why Delphine wanted Esbern here. He seems to be a wise old geezer. He must know something we don't. Kiya isn't too enthusiastic about all this; she followed us reluctantly. The Blades seek to destroy the dragons, and if Kiya can find a way to stop that without letting the world get destroyed in turn, I'll gladly follow her.

They didn't have paper?

Esbern suggested that we go find this long-lost Alduin's Wall. I do not know how he came by this knowledge while caged in the ratways, but if this will help us defeat the God-Dragon, so be it. The old man said it was to be found in the Sky Haven Temple, near Karthspire, to the west. The west, where winds dare not enter. I heard Kiya sigh. She must have read the signs like I have. I did not think her a superstitious person like the Redguard are, but her time with the folks of Skyrim and me might have influenced her. We know what's coming, at the very least.

Delphine told us to travel with her, but we declined. Kiya and I will meet you there, I explained. The female Blade frowned at me, and bid Kiya safe travels. I frowned as well as she turned her back. I hoped only the old man gets there alive. 

Kiya and I spent the night together in a secluded place. We were about to face the evil unknown, and even if we delayed for a while, we had to share our warmth for maybe the last time. I had selfishly asked the gods for more nights like this, but the fate of the world is in our hands. I shuddered at the thought of this. I had a bad feeling.

A few days later, several paces away from the Karthspire, we saw the most horrifying thing we had ever seen.

Cool. I wish I could do that.

Alduin, the God-Dragon, the World Eater, was in the process of resurrecting a dragon from its tomb. I had heard of this, but I did not believe it; I had thought the dragons must have come from other parts of Tamriel. Kiya and I stood there, frozen in disbelief. Esbern and Delphine reached us in time to witness this monstrosity perform such vile act. 

By the time we came to our senses, Alduin had gone, and in his place was Nahagliiv. I looked behind me and nodded at Kiya. Always the hesitant Dragonborn. If circumstances left Kiya alone in the face of Alduin, I would not want to know what will happen then. I charged at the resurrected dragon.

I won't even remember your name!

Within moments, the dragon had been buried again on the ground. It did not fly, and I know it must be heartbreaking for Kiya to witness this moment: A dragon, once free and flew wherever it pleased, killed in combat and fell to the ground, resurrected to fly for a master, only to fall again to the ground, breaking down into the bones it once was. I could imagine her anger at Alduin. She has enough reasons to kill him on her own now, I realize.

The sun was already up when we reach Karthspire. The horde of Forsworn gave color to the otherwise dull color of the ruins as they fell to the ground, blood spilling. Screams were heard all over the place. Dragons and wolves alike would have heard the commotion a mile away. It was the only way inside the Temple.

Early morning bloodshed.

A puzzling path of stone greeted us when we entered the cave. Luckily, the old man still had a keen mind, and we made it through to the other side.

I could just jump to that entrance, but the old man can't, so I have to help him.

Sky Haven Temple... it certainly looked like a place the Blades would use as a hideout--cold and dull. Esbern lit the brazier, but the light from the sky above gave it all the light it needed. It was dark, damp, and unused for centuries. A large chest lay on the center of the cavernous structure. It seemed like a trap to those foolish enough to try and open it. Esbern went ahead and inspected the skull door, and said that we would need the blood of a dragon in order to open it. 

No wonder the Blades dwindled in numbers.

I stepped on top of the seal, and sliced my finger open to let the blood drip onto it. It shone bright, as if invigorated by the presence of a dragon, although why the Blades chose this mechanism for their hideout, I do not know. The skull door opened.

What if they run out of Dragon blood?

The door revealed the wall Esbern was talking about--Alduin's Wall. It was majestic. I had hoped for a word wall, where Kiya and I would be able to learn a shout from, but no. This was just--just--a wall with historical records. Damn the gods! Damn the Blades! All this running after some wall, all for some information! I fumed as Esbern told us the history of the damned humans who fought the dragons. I did not care for such things. However, it did tell us of a Shout they used to defeat the dragons--Dragonrend, they called it. 

All this to go back and ask the Greybeards?? GRAAAHHH!

Esbern felt helpless right now. We had to ask the Greybeards what they know about it, they said, grudgingly. All for more information. I do not even know what they'll be able to tell us, but I am sure that we are wasting time traveling back and forth for uncertainties and pieces of the puzzle. But we had no choice. Kiya and I made our way outside the temple, leaving Esbern and Delphine behind to let them revel at the lost Blades' hideout. The nerve of these dragonslayers, even finding the time to enjoy themselves! 

It took us several days to reach High Hrothgar. The Greybeards welcomed us quietly, and went about their own ways immediately. Arngeir greeted us once we found him. He seemed almost shocked that we had gained information from the Blades, and berated us for letting them corrupt our minds. I would have none of it.

Well, it's fortunate I don't get intemperate with you.

He told us of Dragonrend, the Shout that defeated the dragons, and ultimately, Alduin. He did not know of it, however, for the knowledge of it did not get passed on to them. Their leader, however, knew of it. Leader? I thought to myself. We had not met this Paarthurnax they speak of. Who is this man? How does he know of this Shout? Is he a Dragonborn, as well?

Oh, he will. He will.

Arngeir showed us the way to Paarthurnax's location further up the mountains, at the very peak. The Greybeards taught us a shout to dispel the raging weather that would otherwise hinder our movement, and maybe even kill us if we were not careful. Kiya thanked them for their help; I turned and Shouted at the winds even before she finished speaking.

Trolls lurked in almost every corner of the path to the peak of the mountain, and the winds are the harshest in Skyrim. We had almost reached the summit when I smelled something wrong. I could see a Wall from where I stood, and I could smell the stench of... a dragon! I could not find any human smell apart from ours in this place. Why is a dragon here, on top of the mountains, very near High Hrothgar? I had unsheathed my weapon when Kiya grabbed my shoulders, and whispered in my ear to stay where I was. If she wanted to prove something, this would be the right time, I suppose. I looked on as she walked towards the Wall, and the dragon came into view from above the clouds.

More like a plateau, not a mountain.



No comments:

Post a Comment