Saturday, December 28, 2013

Nirnroot Won't Save You

I thought the Crimson Nirnroot was a positive sign that I can at least get back what Serana had taken from me. Perhaps Kousei can remember the first time we hung out together in an inn, and how he had given me a Nirnroot to help me with my money woes at the time. Back then, we were only starting what will become quite a close correspondence -- a correspondence that I am no longer sure will continue after all this is over. So much, so much, had transpired since that night in the Sleeping Giant Inn. I never expected to be attached to that sorry excuse of a Redguard. Furthermore, I am double the fool for having allowed Serana to catch me staring at Kousei one of the several times he had the helmet off. Ugh, that Daedric armor set is complementing his looks so well; it's driving me crazy!

The poor man! He was only studying alchemical ingredients!




The Elder Scroll was our primary agenda in Blackreach, but we found ourselves staying longer than we expected (or wanted, in my case). The cause of all this was Kousei's fascination for the Crimson Nirnroot, which we first encountered in the derelict field laboratory of a man named Sinderion. I am afraid his name didn't ring a bell in my memory, but a Crimson Nirnroot was certainly novel in itself. I found myself getting caught up in Kousei's excitement with the unusual plant that I agreed to help him find more of it.

It grows without the sun. I guess that's why it's the color of blood?
Finding thirty Crimson Nirnroots was more difficult than expected. Some of them were tucked away in hidden places not readily accessible, or were in the company of devilish beings that call Blackreach home. I even fell down a waterfall at one point while trying to retrieve a plant that was at the lip of the precipice (so embarrassing). But the most amazing thing that happened in all this fuss over Crimson Nirnroots was when Kousei accidentally released a slumbering dragon. This was when we were fighting Falmer where the gigantic Blackreach yellow orb was suspended.

Find the dragon in this illumination.

Kousei is hidden somewhere in that inferno.

I was temporarily paralyzed with shock when I heard Kousei use a partial form of the Unrelenting Force Shout. But Vulthuryol was keeping us busy, and so I devoted my energies to pelting the dragon with arrows while Kousei and Serana engaged him head-on. I therefore had a clear view of Kousei absorbing the dragon's soul once Vulthuryol was defeated. I was stunned. The Greybeards had told me that they detected another Dragonborn who awakened his powers at roughly the same time as I did when I slew Mirmulnir near Whiterun, but this second Dragonborn had so far not ascended to High Hrothgar. Kousei and Serana must have noticed that I was not moving from my spot, because they ran back to see if I was alright. I shrugged off their concerned questions, and asked Kousei bluntly if he knew that he was Dragonborn all along. He muttered that he knew, hastily adding an apology for not having told me any time sooner. I looked him in the eye before saying that it doesn't matter. There were more Crimson Nirnroots to be found.

Finally, the last one!

Nonetheless, I thought I detected a different kind of happiness in Kousei's actions when I showed him the roots I found. He clutched at my hands -- my hands! -- holding the plants, thanking me profusely for my help. Did I just imagine him hesitating to let go so he can take the roots from me? I was so thankful that I had the helmet on, or he would have seen me blushing under it. We stood staring at each other for a short moment before I quickly offered to scout ahead at the Tower of Mzark for enemies. He agreed, and so off to the Tower I went.

How dare you. How DARE you.

Thankfully, the Tower of Mzark appeared devoid of enemies, and so I happily went back to my companions with these news. My footfalls were Muffled and so they weren't able to detect that I was there until I was just behind them. Well, what did I hear? Kousei exclaiming quite loudly, "Please don't leave me, Lady Serana!" I froze in my tracks, and so did they in their conversation. Kousei looked at me imploringly, and was just beginning with the usual "It's not what you think" statement when I cut him off at once. The Tower of Mzark is clear, I said softly. We ought to finish this quest as soon as possible. Kousei looked like he was going to try to press the matter on to me when a Dwarven sphere came rolling towards us. I instinctively blasted it down with one of my fire spells. Quite dangerously close to where Serana was standing, I might say. That silenced them. I turned and ran back to the Tower of Mzark, not even looking back to see if they followed me.

Come here, let me kill you.

I do not know what I'm going to do anymore. I am now an official third wheel where Serana and Kousei are concerned. I just want to get out of Blackreach as soon as we obtain that Elder Scroll so I can temporarily drive all these damned cares out of my mind. The glowing mushrooms, the Dwemer machines, the Falmer, the Chaurus, the Vampire, the Redguard -- I have seen too much of them. I find myself cursing Blackreach for not having any taverns (or at least some ale, for the Divines' sake!) among its ruins.

I didn't tell him that I was Dragonborn too, with the ability to absorb the souls of deceased dragons. We hadn't the opportunity to slay a dragon together until now, and there was no way he could have known I could use Shouts as well. I hardly ever use the Dovah speech. If I did, I may sooner or later go the same way as Ulfric Stormcloak, Shouting enemies to pieces without thinking if it will impact the fate of Skyrim. And if I don't get out of Blackreach soon, I may end up doing just that to the happy couple. Fine, Kousei. You are so besotted with Serana, but you could have at least kept your voice down and spared me some pain! Damn bastard!

- Kiya

No comments:

Post a Comment