Sunday, January 11, 2015

A Taste of Beast Blood

Kousei and I had chosen to spend the remainder of our time in my Falkreath property while we wait for Delphine to show up in Riverwood. It's a miracle Lakeview Manor was still unspoiled, and loyal Rayya continued to serve me despite my status as a fugitive. Thank the Divines the Stormcloaks hadn't considered searching for me here.

Checking out the property.

Nonetheless, a day or two after settling in my home, a Daedric Lord came knocking on our door in a most unexpected manner. My love had gone to the Falkreath city area to buy some bread as well as some meat, for no game animal had wandered into the Manor's vicinity lately. I didn't immediately notice anything unusual when he returned. I took the packages from him and was arranging them on the hearth when he suddenly ran for the door. Alarmed, I ran after him. But barely had I closed the door behind me when he motioned for me to stay back. And before the question formed on my lips, I beheld Kousei's transformation into a snow-white werewolf before my horrified eyes.

Run, Forrest, ruuuuun!

His wolf instincts temporarily took over, and he lunged at me. I instinctively parried the blow with my bow, although the force knocked me to the ground. At that moment, the snow wolf that was my beloved seemed to regain a little of his senses. Regret and dismay were plain in his amber eyes when he backed off and ran past me to Talos-knows-where. I quickly gathered the equipment he left behind, donned my cloak and hood, then ran off after him. I don't know how long I chased him. All I knew was that we were both exhausted by the time I covered him in blankets later that night.


Or tenth summer. Depends how you see it, really.

Kousei managed to explain matters to me when the effects of his transformation wore off. He patiently answered my questions. How was it that he uncontrollably turned into a werewolf when the full moon was still a few weeks away? Apparently, Kousei didn't just obtain bread and meat from Falkreath -- there was also a ring cursed by the Daedric Prince of the Hunt, Hircine.

Who, what told you?

He told me about a man named Sinding, who was recently imprisoned in the Falkreath Jail for savagely murdering a local farmer's young daughter. Kousei emphasized that there was more to Sinding than what the people thought of him, and that his admittance of the crime doesn't mean he wasn't regretful of it. As he was speaking, I noticed that he was twisting a ring on his finger. I didn't think I have seen it before -- plain silver, with a wolf head on it. The sight of it made me narrow my eyes in suspicion.

What if he skins us instead for killing his favorite beast?

"Sinding was unable to control himself," Kousei explained, still twisting the ring. I couldn't take it anymore. I gently got a hold of his hand and attempted to get the wretched thing off, but it refused to budge an inch.

Unable to control himself, I thought. Just like Kousei a while ago.

"This Sinding was a werewolf too, wasn't he?" I remarked wearily, after a few fruitless minutes of trying to wrench it off my love. "And he gave you this ring that carried his curse."

The perks of being a werewolf.

Kousei confirmed my suspicions. He then explained that the ring was the fabled Ring of Hircine, an artifact that could grant a werewolf unlimited transformations. However, Sinding had displeased the Lord of the Hunt by stealing the ring, and as such the artifact's enchantment became uncontrollable. It could not be removed unless another person willingly chose to bear its burden, and only by killing a legendary beast can we hope to beg Hircine for forgiveness.

I hate to admit it, but that looks quite pretty.

Neither of us were able to sleep well that night, due to fretting over the cursed ring. Kousei was afraid that he would suddenly transform and hurt me while at it, and I was constantly bothered by the Daedric artifact in our midst. I admit I do consort with Daedra, even maintaining a degree of rapport with Nocturnal, Azura, Sheogorath, and Sanguine. However, a part of me isn't quite at ease with the Lord of Werewolves, despite Kousei being one. We were taking a little walk in the nearby woods the next morning when I came upon a decision. I told Kousei I would take the ring.

Deliberating to give a ring and pop a question?

Kousei looked at me incredulously, and gave me a flat "No" at once. He wouldn't consider putting me into such danger, he said. We could track down the beast Sinding was talking about and things would be resolved without me having to ever put on the cursed ring. However, I touched his hand and calmly, steadily explained that I needed to understand. Besides, being a werewolf already, he wouldn't have to worry about contracting lycanthropy should I transform. It wouldn't be the same if he kept the ring. We argued for about half an hour before he gave in to my insistence. Kousei reluctantly told me to hold out my hand. The ring slipped easily from his finger and on to my extended palm, before it quickly went and displaced the current ring I had on.

My, my. Aren't you adorable?

We were discussing our plans to go after the stag when a dragon's shadow darkened the sun. Kousei and I drew our weapons as the dragon came into view. It was a Wyvern, an unusual dragon we have never seen before. It looked like a green-scaled version of Voslaarum and Naaslaarum of the Forgotten Vale, but we can tell it was in ways more deadly. It was spitting a sickly green substance that smelled strongly of acid. Kousei and I were already considered masters in our respective weapons of choice, but our blows seemed to only dent the beast's hide. The dragons were indeed getting stronger.

I'm a Werewolf. But I'm also a Nightingale. Has your mind exploded yet?

It was a long and harrowing battle, but victory was near. I only had to shoot one more arrow, and it would be over. At that moment, I felt my body changing. The bow and arrow fell from my grasp when the skin of my fingers split into dark-furred claws. I wanted to cry out in pain as my body gave forth grotesque convulsions, but it was a howl that left my now-elongated maw. Kousei swiftly put himself between my newly-transformed self and the Wyvern, and one well-aimed strike at the dragon turned it into bones once more.

I didn't know why I had to run from Kousei. All I was aware of was this hunger for blood gnawing at my insides, and at the same time, a desperate urge to resist it. My newly-sprouted fangs, hungry for some flesh to latch on to, nearly broke themselves as I bit on logs and rock instead in an attempt to curb the bloodlust. I must have looked quite pitiful as I curled up, whimpering, near a waterfall as I waited for the effects to fade. My senses had become unbearably acute. I wanted to keep out the eerily amplified sound of fish splashing down the stream, the cries of deer being slaughtered by a bear in the distance, and the rustling of trees in the wind. I stuck my nose on the damp earth to deaden the onslaught of scents, and the complex blend of moss, loam, and waterlogged pine needles calmed me a little. But it was not enough. This was not me. I was a beast, one that most citizens fear.

I snarled when I felt something quietly nudge me, but the hairs fell back down when I saw it was the snout of a pale wolf. Kousei gently nuzzled my face and licked me where my cheek would have been. I was quick to press my own body against his. He was still holding me when I awoke a few hours later, fully human again. It's not easy wearing the ring, but I do not regret that decision. Now, if we could only find Hircine's beast, everything would be all right again.

No comments:

Post a Comment