Monday, July 21, 2014

The End of the Beginning


It is done. The battle for Solitude, for Skyrim, is done. We have shattered the steel fingers that gripped our beliefs and held it from us. The Thalmor will be no more in Skyrim, their oppressive presence will be no more, with the fall of the weak empire that kept them on our land. 

I am trying to feel content with the defeat of the Empire, but I cannot shake the thought of her running from all this, as a fugitive. I caught one last glimpse of her in Solitude. I was not sure if I am surprised to see her here; the last I heard of her was she was taking forts near Winterhold. She had that fierce, burning rage in her eyes, as she turned around and ran. I had to chase her, make her come with me, and keep her safe from the very men I had just fought with against her and her comrades. She did not seem to hear any of my screams of guilt and apologies and regret. At the end of the day, I was empty-handed. She thought I was chasing her to bring her to Ulfric, damn this!

A ghost in Imperial Armor.

Ulfric, before the siege started and before he stood in front of the men and gave a blood-stirring speech, had told me to seek for Kiya and take care of her. I felt my heart skip a beat with this ultimatum. He knew of our relationship, and he is forcing me to choose: Skyrim, or her. Is it really not possible to save both? Have I not done enough to earn the right to choose for myself? Is what we're fighting for really because we could not choose for ourselves?

"Right"? Yeah, right.

I see everything now, Ulfric. You will have your time. 

The men stormed Solitude ready and thirsty for blood. I felt weak; I suddenly had no will to fight. But I had to--I had to finish what I had started. Not for Ulfric, not for me, not for her, but for Skyrim. The sword Kiya gave me shook in my hands, and all the regret I had felt when I started this quest came rushing back. I had to be strong, as I've come too far to turn back and go the other way. I can still hear the screams of the soldiers I slew. My sword and shield are still covered in the blood of the fallen. My conscience is still filled with regret.

Blood everywhere.

More blood.

But it is done. We were able to finish all the soldiers outside Castle Dour. I had taken one or two arrow hits to the body and some slashes on the arms, but nothing that potions can't handle. We found General Tullius and Legate Rikke inside the castle, seemingly composed. For the first time, I witnessed Ulfric and Tullius talk like men in a war waged by a shout. A discussion never occurred between the two sides in this war, and, while possible, is impractical, as I am sure the Empire would never allow Ulfric's wishes to take precedence over peace of Skyrim. 

Ulfric was intent on ending this war right here, right now. Tullius, a man I am sure Kiya would have loved as a father, started talking Ulfric out of it, but he would have none. Ulfric attacked the Legate and the General. Rikke fell to the floor, dead, and Tullius pleaded to spare his life. I had no choice. Ulfric urged me to be the one to end it all. 

Thanks for stating the obvious.

I walked towards Tullius. Heart pounding, my hand raised up the sword Kiya gave me as a gift, whispered a sorrowful "I am sorry" to a man who was trying to look up the stairs, lips seemingly moving. Only when my sword was on its way down did I realize that he whispered to someone we were not able to detect when we came in. 

Kiya was there.

I look at the arrows that had hit me. They were made from the bones of a dragon.

Is it, really?
I am here now in Solitude without her. I would not have gone back if I talked her out of it, of course; I would have ran away with her in a heartbeat, if she allows it. She kept running away, and I could not help but feel helpless. I know I will find her, but not now.

This is the end of the war. At least, until the Thalmor comes and takes down every single citizen of Skyrim with them. I realize that now. I am guessing Ulfric will be too consumed by his power in the future, and that will be the downfall of Skyrim, but I could be wrong. Someone will have to save it from the evils outside, and within.

The calm AFTER the storm.
For now, I will rest. This is just the beginning. I have much work to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment