Sunday, February 23, 2014

Like Fragile Ice


The bow, Auriel's Bow, is ours at last. But no sooner was this accomplished when an even more daunting task is dropped on our laps. I've been looking forward to unwinding a bit with Kousei after we have obtained the bow. And judging by how Kousei's hurriedly hacking Falmer left and right to get the quest done as quickly as possible, I know that he is, too. Unfortunately, it seems our personal plans would have to wait a bit.

The dead Snow Elf priests would probably roll in their graves if they found out about the less-than-solemn manner by which we entered the Inner Sanctum. Kousei barged in, sword drawn and shield at the ready, while Serana and I silently followed him close behind. I guess it was a bit disappointing to be confronted with Falmer and Chaurus frozen in time instead of a perfectly mobile enemy. But the gristly ice sculptures were not as harmless as they look. The moment Kousei plucked a potion displayed tantalizingly in a frozen Falmer's icy grip, the little critter came to life. A sword swing was all it took to remedy the situation, but we all agreed to leave the statues in their frozen dream states. (Okay, I'll admit I took a staff from one while they were not looking, and I promptly blasted the brute to ice powder later on. Serana can't complain about having a staff of Icicle Spear in her inventory.)

Serana had a point about this being a different shade of creepy.

We eventually located Arch-Curate Vyrthur in the depths of the Sanctum. Unlike the eerie ice figures that surrounded him, Vyrthur himself looked perfectly well, if not bored, as he sat on his throne. It was expected that he wouldn't be too willing to hand over Auriel's Bow to us -- we have always prepared ourselves for aggressive negotiations -- but his choice of words surprised us. Addressing Kousei directly, Vyrthur remarked that he had behaved exactly as expected... by bringing his "fetching companion" into the Chapel. Kousei got in front of me immediately, threatening that only over his dead and cold body will he let Vyrthur have me. I had to fight down a chuckle. I whispered into Kousei's ear that the Arch-Curate was probably referring to Serana, but that did not change his battle stance one bit. It was quite flattering that my dear Redguard thought me fetching, though.

Why are those statues facing the center, and not the person on the throne?

Instead of engaging us directly, Vyrthur forced us to fight through the Falmer and Chaurus in the room, which he had of course thawed for the purpose. He even summoned an Ancient Frost Atronach. Except for the Atronach, they were all easy to dispose of. However, the sheer number of enemies was a bit of a challenge to confront. At some point in the battle, I took the lead with spells that could decimate multiple enemies to buy Kousei some time to take potions and heal his wounds.

It's a miracle your behind hasn't frozen into your throne yet.

When it seemed Vyrthur had exhausted his options (which included bringing down the ceiling, by the way), he gathered up his power and made a dramatic exit. We all blacked out temporarily as he decimated what was left of Auriel's Chapel. I should have shot him down with one of my arrows before he even had the chance to talk.


 Nope, not giving a bow anytime soon.

It was Serana who came to first, and she quickly nudged me and Kousei awake. I told my companions that I was all right, and Kousei gave the same answer when asked about his current condition. It was a miracle we weren't crushed underneath all that fallen masonry. Once we were back on our feet, we ran to the balcony, where Vyrthur was no doubt ready to make his last stand.

Ugh, this will give me nightmares for some time.

We cornered Vyrthur in the view of the mountains, and for a while, it looked like we can convince him to give us the bow without having to fight more. Our assault had certainly wearied him, and surely, he wouldn't want the number of remaining Snow Elves to be reduced by one? Alas, it turns out Vyrthur cannot even be called a Snow Elf anymore.

You certainly look like you need lots of blood.

A cornered rat squeaks a lot, and so does Vyrthur. We had to listen to him ranting about wanting to exact revenge on Auri-El by creating the Prophecy of the Sun, which had Serana as the keystone. A blood of a Daughter of Coldharbour would blind the eye of Auri-El, indeed. Then, to our surprise, Serana showed us a feat of strength by lifting Vyrthur in a fit of temper. I cannot see Kousei's expression because of the Dragon Priest mask he had on, but I wonder if he's as amused as I was. Why should I go brawling with random drunkards in taverns when Serana could give me a fistfight that is more challenging and enjoyable?

Serana's not willing to give a blood transfusion. Not in a million years.

In a last-ditch effort to keep the bow, Vyrthur summoned a Frost Atronach (again) and finally began using his vampiric powers without any hesitation. Serana willingly took on the Frost Atronach despite being brought to the knees by its barrage of powerful attacks. I knew that the Atronach would automatically die if its summoner was defeated, and so I concentrated my attacks on Vyrthur. And so the last Arch-Curate of the Snow Elves finally met his demise in the hands of a Vampire, a Redguard, and an Imperial.

Not exactly the most flattering of illuminations for both Serana and me.

As we were catching our breaths, we saw that the Wayshrine in the balcony had risen, and out stepped a familiar snow-white figure. I know Kousei would have throttled Gelebor the first chance he got, but he resignedly motioned for me to talk to the knight-paladin. All this trouble for a bow. As an archer, I ought to appreciate its worth more than a man who prefers the sword.

But your brother still destroyed the temple.

I told Gelebor the truth about Vyrthur's condition, and how the Falmer (which he called the Betrayed) had nothing to do with his being a vampire. I could almost pity Gelebor when he said that he still had not lost faith that his blinded kin will one day remember what they once were. He's bound by flesh and blood to those creatures after all, despite what they had become.

I do not know if I can ever tell it to Kousei that this is somehow what I feel about the dov. I know it; he probably thinks I'm a fool for hesitating to kill Voslaarum and Naslaarum. But he's wrong if he's thinking that I want to talk some sense into them. I am not blind to the faults of dragons, and I do not condone their belief that power equates to truth. But as a dovahkiin, with the same soul as they, can one really deny any form of kinship? Does that question even bother Kousei? I don't know. For that very reason, I cannot tell him that we are alike in that aspect. Not yet.

We went through so much trouble for you. Please be worth it.

Anyhow, Gelebor stepped aside and allowed me to take Auriel's Bow from its pedestal. A quiver of Sunhallowed Elven Arrows came with it. I felt its power the moment my fingers touched it, and oddly enough, I thought I felt it before. After pondering for a moment, I realized that I was remembering the Dawnbreaker, the sword Meridia had given Kousei. He had allowed me to hold it once before, and I recognized the same loathing for the undead in the bow. I had to smile. The Daedra and the Aedra are not as irreconcilable as they think they are. But what does Serana have to say about it? The illumination below would be enough.

I suggest you lower your voice, Serana. Gelebor doesn't look too happy.

Serana, after some hesitation, acknowledged that we now have little choice but to face her father. I had to make sure she understood its repercussions, and so replied that he would have to die if we do confront him. She looked sad, but she had already considered that possibility, she said. There was little choice. I looked at Kousei, who sighed a little but muttered that we ought to face Harkon before news of our plans reach him. To my astonishment, Serana suggested that we request back up from Isran. That is one thing I thought I would never hear. It took some convincing for Kousei to go back to Fort Dawnguard and explain things to Isran, but he agreed in the end (I won't tell how I did it).

But will he lend us hands to hold those weaponry?

And so we set our compass back to Fort Dawnguard. As far as I can see, we've been tempting fate all this time. Will our luck hold out until the final battle? I want to believe it would be so. I would be asking too much from the Divines if I prayed for Isran and Kousei to get along, but may no personal prejudices get in the way between them this time. Defeating Harkon would be no easy task, and divided ranks are not exactly the best of ways to do that.

- Kiya

No comments:

Post a Comment