Saturday, November 2, 2013

When Dawn Breaks (Part I)


Dear Kiya,

I think it would have been much less of a hassle for you if you had asked me for Frost Resist potions, as I have plenty, but we have been apart since we reached Fort Dawnguard and decided we split ways in order to speed up our recruitment for Isran. Fear not, my Lady, for I have found Gunmar, and much more. You do not have to worry about getting delayed by your involvement with Azura--it is for a worthy cause, I am sure--because I am also knee-deep in the affairs of the Daedra. This I tell you because I think it will help our cause in fighting the vampires.

I found Gunmar outside Clearspring Cave, a few miles northwest of Riften. I traveled there non-stop from Fort Dawnguard, as I know you would do so yourself at the task you were given. He was outside the entrance to the cave, hunting with two others. It was a cold, rainy night, and hunters take a liking to this weather, as their footsteps won't be heard as much by their game. However, what I was about to encounter was no small game.

I sank my boots in the lake I didn't see in the darkness.

Gunmar told me Isran had been too late to ask for help from him, as he had other business to attend to. I coolly told him that it was vampires we were up to, not just any draugrs or other creatures of the night. He changed his mind there and then, only to tell me he needed my help in dealing with some creatures he's been tracking since morning. If that was the only way to get him to come to Fort Dawnguard with me, so be it.

"Business" is the right word for hunting game.

We entered the cave, him trailing behind me. I turned the corner from the entrance of the cave, and out sprang a bear and a troll. Gunmar immediately distracted the bear, so I would take care of the troll. He thought I was just a messenger for Isran that I could not handle both the bear and the troll simultaneously. Needless to say we dispatched of them quite quickly.

Not seen: A troll.

At the end of the cave, there was a treasure chest, and as with all wooden boxes and crates I encounter in my travels (if no one appears to own them), I take a look at what's inside. So I did. Lo and behold, it was a white, glowing crystal orb. It was cool to the touch, and seemed to have had light inside but is slowly fading. All of a sudden, a voice spoke to me. It introduced itself as Meridia, the Daedric Prince of Life and Energy. She implored me to return her beacon to its rightful temple and cleanse it of any evil and undead. When the voice was gone, all I could hear was Gunmar calling out my name from outside the cave, telling me he would just meet me at the Fort. He was gone by the time I collected myself and went outside. 


I knew of the temple: During our visit to Solitude, there was a man who told me of Meridia's temple right outside the city. From Clearspring Cave, I again, without rest, traveled nonstop to the temple. Forgive me for my own delay, but I think it is a great advantage to have Meridia's favor on our side, for I know she does not approve of Vampires. 

How glorious she looks, even during the night.

I reach the temple and placed her crystal orb--her beacon--at the foot of her statue, and I was lifted up to the sky. I could see all of Skyrim from there, I swear it. Once again the voice of Meridia spoke to me, and told me that a necromancer has defiled her temple below the shrine, and I am to purge it of all evil. She thrust me back to the ground from the sky, and here I write to you this letter before I do anything else.

I am talking to a glowing orb of light a few thousand feet up in the sky. I must be mad.

Knowing that our enemy, the vampires, are Undead, I did not have one doubt about cleansing Meridia's temple, and I know that you would not, either. And so I tell you not to worry about obtaining Azura's Star, for I know it is for a great purpose in our fight against the vampires, as will my upcoming endeavor. I also implore you to stay safe, and I will write again as soon as I behead this vile necromage.

Stay safe,
Kousei

No comments:

Post a Comment