Sunday, October 13, 2013

To Solitude


It's been quite a few days since traveling from Fort Dawnguard, and I am still angry. That joke Kiya shamed me with with that absurdly tall Riften guard still gets in my nerves whenever I remember it. This is no time to make fun of your comrades! A large part of Skyrim is starting to succumb to the Vampire threat, and there I was in Riften, getting heckled by my companion and a guard. A guard! For the life of me, I cannot fathom how anyone would have time to play jokes on someone during these dark times! Just a few days ago, though, Kiya had given me a grand soul gem with an apology for what she did. After a few moments' of deliberating with myself, I accepted the apology and declined the soul gem, taking instead a petty one, for the cause of my anger was, indeed, petty.

After Riften, it was a fairly smooth travel across Skyrim towards Morthal. Encountering several vampires with Lady Serana seemed awkward, but she fought them as well as Kiya and I did, and that got me thinking if she is really on the wrong side of things. I kept thinking of how she must have felt when she slew her fellow vampires as if they were nothing, like Nords killing Nords in a battle. Nevertheless, I pity her for her long captivity. 

"Kousei? Where are you? I can't see you."

We kept a steady pace from Morthal towards Solitude, the home of the Imperial Army. Kiya proposed that we enter the city when we get there. I had my own reasons not to go inside, and I know Kiya knows this. I have a short temper, and being surrounded by Imperial soldiers makes me want to Shout at them and hack them all to death. She kept insisting we enter Solitude, dousing my hesitation with her enthusiasm. 

"Seriously, Kousei, where are y--oh, there you are. You blend well with the darkness, you know."

For one whole night, we traveled. Nearing the city right before dawn, we swam in the river to stay as quiet as we can. We saw no dry land with which to cross it, so we had no choice but to swim across. I let Kiya scout the river, as her enchantments let her breathe underwater. I even took an illumination of her underwater, and hurriedly so, as I cannot stay there for long. If I did, she wouldn't have to scout so far ahead of us.

Underwater at night is scary.

Well, there's a bridge. Should we use it?

Nope, not going to use it.

It was already morning when we finally reached Solitude, and this was what greeted us: A crowd at the entrance of town, cursing, throwing rotten food at a man chained at the wrists, screaming, "Traitor! Traitor!" while the ones on the high ground took their positions. I noticed a kid crying about his uncle going to die. They announced that this man in chains opened the gates for Ulfric Stormcloak, letting him flee from the scene after he killed the High King. He defended himself, saying the Ulfric defeated the High King in single combat, that it was the way of Nords. I turned and stared at Kiya, looking for something, but she just shook her head, like she knew what I was going to do. 

Those are really pretty flowers.

It was painful to watch as this man, staying true to his Race, said, "On this day... I go to Sovngarde," as they chopped his head off. The crowd cheered, as though they really killed Ulfric with this... murder. It was as though the war will end with the death of an insignificant man who did nothing wrong. They are afraid, and gladly think that his death is a already a victory. Let them think that one small victory in their own city will mean a lot in the end. We'll see.

Opening doors for someone is a crime now.

 It was only after the crowd dispersed was I able to get a look around the city. Huge walls surround it, defending it from any kind of siege. Imperial soldiers training everywhere. Nobles' children running around. I must learn what I can in this city, but maybe next time. Kiya insisted on visiting the forge.


Feminine swing? I doubt that.

It surprised me when she proposed that she teach me the art of making Orcish armor. I've heard it's a lot stronger than Dwarven ones, so I immediately agreed. She was so adept at making it that I couldn't help but think: Who can imagine that someone wearing a mage's robe and a pretty face can pound a heavy hammer to Orichalcum and mold it to something so strong? I wonder where all this skill comes from. I am enchanted by her, and somehow, I feel different just staring at her. 

The headgear's a bit silly, but definitely better than that hideous Dwarven one.

As we finish making the armor, she makes me put them on, and immediately I feel a lot stronger. A bit heavier, yes, but I do not mind the weight of it all. If we are in battle, I will not even notice the difference. What matters is that I can take a lot of punishment from our enemies to keep Kiya and Lady Serana safely attacking at a distance. I thanked Kiya for the knowledge and skill, but she dismissed it, and said something about it was the least she could do to make up for what she did before. I quietly agreed, but not before thinking that I already accepted her apology.

Orcs have a surprisingly awesome taste (in fashion, that is).

In a few days we will be moving to Volkihar castle, with much preparation for the vampires that dwell there. We do not know if this is a trap set up by Lady Serana, however innocent she may look, but it's best if we prepare for it first. I need to discuss with Kiya what we have to do next without Lady Serana noticing anything. The next few days will be as tricky as improving your armor without breaking it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment